Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Stay at home mom with dreams of perfecting all things mama.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Green monster-not scary

I had been hearing about something called green monster smoothies for a while now. They are smoothies containing spinach or kale or both. I know, sounds gross, and I was skeptical, but decided to try it for our take ten project today.

Kids can help. Have them place the ingredients in the blender. We made this blueberry banana green monster and be still my heart (I've been wanting to say or write that for a while now! lol) they drank 3 servings of the stuff!

Here's the recipe:
2-3 cups organic spinach
1 cup milk
1 tbs flax (optional) - we did not have this so we did not have it in our smoothie
1 banana
1/2 cup blueberries
ice (5 cubes worked for us)

So, the directions from another recipe said to put the spinach in first, then the banana, next, the blueberries, and lastly the milk.  This is so the spinach will be weighed down by the other ingredients and not fly around the top of the blender.  Now blend! (Yes, without ice for now) Once these ingredients are mixed and smooth, place the ice in and blend until smoothie like.  I added a squirt of honey to make it a little sweeter.

Result = yumminess!  I didn't know spinach could taste so good!
Take ten with a green monster!

More info here: greenmonstermovement.com

No comments:

Post a Comment